PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Amiri Flight Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 15:56
Amiri01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting kids into the preferred school here is one of the big headaches when you get here. The British Schools are:

Doha College
Doha English Speaking School (Primary only)
Sherbourne
Park House
Doha British School (ex-Doha Montessori)
Newton School
and there's another new but expensive one whose name I can't recall.

The American School has a very good reputation but of course uses the American curriculum. I have mates whose kids go there and they are very happy.

Check their websites for more info.

It is getting harder to place your kids in the British Schools without a British passport.

If you have school age kids, getting them placed could well be your biggest headache in the move.

For those that are successful at screening, personally, I would recommend that anyone with a family try to leave them with relatives until you've got through the first few weeks in Doha. That serves two purposes; one, they get to spend time with Gran and Grandpa before moving so far away; and also, you will be busy with domestic arrangements like getting your Residence Permit (RP), doing the work stuff like license conversion with all its' associated courses, looking around for accommodation, looking for a car (to either buy or rent), visiting schools to check them out, checking out furniture shops, becoming familiar with the shopping etc. The minimum amount of time that you have to submit the family to these tasks, the better. If you manage to get some villas lined up so when the family gets there, you can take your family out on day 1 or 2 to look at specific villas so you can settle on one and move in asap, the better. Also, with your RP in place, you can start getting the family sorted in that respect also (painful but HR at the company help pretty well).

The sooner you can settle into regular life, the less stressful it is, so if you do the preparatory work while the family catches up with relatives, that would ease things for everyone.

Still, you may not have that luxury and may have to bring them with you from day 1. If this is the case, it can be a little stressful.

Cheers,

Amiri01