PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 15:44
Wildboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borneo

Dad was in Borneo September '64 - March '67.He was in 103 / 110 sqn doing medevac / casevac / searches /ops / etc. He flew over 700hrs, 600hrs as 1st Pilot and flew 30 different whirlwinds 10s during his tour.

Heres one of them in action XK968 dropping off or picking up in a clearing, this one looks quite spacious but I remember him saying that some of the LZs were just big enough to fit into and the rotors often trimmed the foliage.

Heres the same craft shot at RAF Manston March 1991, by 1997 it had been completely destroyed.

WHIRLWIND HAR10 XK968 by Gaz West, on Flickr

But here the same craft immortalized on a st Kitts 80c stamp. I was very pleased to find this on ebay and the seller kindly sent me a detailed picture when i queried the tail number.

Heres a couple of pictures from his log book of an unidentified Whirlwind aboard the Empire Kittiwake during the same era.

Lastly heres another picture from his Log book of the time i can only guess either bleach was involved or that he was flying VIP (there is some mention to VIP in the duty section on some days.)

Ben

Last edited by Wildboy; 21st Nov 2016 at 19:05.