PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 13:45
Bismark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very wise words from ICBM
I am still looking but I can't find any wise words from ICBM.

The big risk with choosing the B is that Defence ends up with the capability of the lowest common denominator. In this case it is that of the RAF whose attitude will be the "we can just hop on and hop off for the minimum amount of time". As opposed to developing the full capability incuding maritime career minded aviators.

As for RAF doing exchange tours with the USMC, if they cannot stand being on board for anything other than the minimum amount of time how will an exchange officer cope with a 9-12 month sea deployment? In addition he would be expected to be a "maritime" aviator for the rest of his flying career, including tours on the ship as an aviation officer.....somehow I do not see this happening and presumably is the reason there are no RAF F-18 exchange officers.

The RAFF need to smell the salt water and get real. Just like the mess they created with Joint Force Harrier and the refusal to believe that the Merlins would transfer to the RN, the world has changed since SDSR and embarked ops are the future. As the current SofS said " I want this carrier deployed with jets and helos aboard not stuck around the UK"