PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Helicopter ditching 10th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012, 12:38
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Cyclic.....I will grant 24 hours grace before reminding some folks of past statements perhaps....as this latest event is certainly going to cause (or should at any rate) some serious reconsideration of the relative merits proclaimed so loudly and at length in the past.

I wonder if other operators are having similar problems with Main Gear Boxes?

Bond appears to have grounded their fleet.....why would they do that and other Operators not do the same.....what do the other Operators know that Bond doesn't? Are the Bond Aircraft unique? Are the other Operators carrying out special inspections and/or reviews of HUMs data (or both)? Has there been any AD action by Eurocopter or any of the Administrators? Any industry wide notifications yet?

Bond easily could be the tragic victim of Fate but one does have to wonder if there is some organic cause similar in nature to the Norwegian S-61 Spindle failures many years back. That had to do with an operational technique that was unique to them. Is there something similar going on here?

Not suggesting there is but merely raising one of many questions that begs asking. i would think the AAIB will take that as one of the many lines of questioning they will apply to this and other events re the 225/L2 MGB design.

Helicopters suspended as gearbox fault blamed for SuperPuma ditching | News | Aberdeen | STV

Last edited by SASless; 13th May 2012 at 12:53.