PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 13th May 2012, 12:29
Rusty1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAA director Jim Davis is quoted in the latest AA edition as saying "The annual cost to RAAA members of the carbon tax, being imposed through an increase in the levy on aviation fuels, is estimated at over $20 million a year but it will bring no efficiency gains or reductions in emissions." (my bolding). That's right: estimated $20 million a year with absolutely ZERO environmental results to gain from it. That is why I call it a phoney tax!
I've not read the article so it is a little difficult for me to comment with any authority, but why does he claim no efficiency gains? If his members are shelling out $20 million as he claims, why is he not in the ear of regulators demanding gains in airspace efficiency (for example)? Surely now he has an argument.

$20 million seems like not that much to me. But per ticket, what's that, maybe $5. (>2 million pax a year with a roughly 50% revenue split bewteen pax and freight). Regional aviation has plenty of problems, the Carbon Tax will be barely a blip on the radar. I suspect Mr Davis has a philospohical objection. Couldn't possibly be John Sharp on the board of REX pulling the stings there?

And yes, I was talking about heavy transport.

Flying Binghi, don't make me quote the thousands of scientists that disagree with Mssrs Monkton, Bolt and Jones. One quote from one scientist. Next you'll be telling me smoking is good for you and vaccinations are bad because some other quack says so.

Europe is buggered essentially because they all refuse to pay tax. China and Korea,what can I say, if you don't believe, you don't believe. California is largely bankrupt because of the policies of the Republican Bush administration to do with energy. Not sure carbon pricing has anything to do with any of them.

Don't forget, both major parties have the same policy of CO2 reduction targets so don't think voting Lib suddenly means no policy of carbon reduction. The difference is with the Libs, it'll be your taxes going straight to polluters. You'll still pay, they'll just be paid for business as usual.

As Tony Abbott famously said "if you want to put a price on carbon why not do it with a simple tax".