PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 13th May 2012, 11:29
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed...........solar without STUPID subsidies, over the long term (total cost of ownership) and not paying the over inflated price like the 50-65c/kwh is not anywhere near viable.

When you consider the cost of install, cost of capital, cost of maintenace, the ROI is not so great is it. Do the numbers and be honest.

And if Aussie Bob is correct about the life span of new panels this is worse. The inverters are not a 25 year device, more like 7. Despite what they tell you in the adverts. I have been in the industrial control and inverter business for 24 years, believe me, the design life is not anywhere near what some folk claim.

Add to this a hail storm, or a lightning strike close by, corrossion and or other costs. The numbers get worse.

And when too many people in a given area are all pumping energy back to the grid, during the day when demand is lower in a housing area, you will pump less in than you hoped. Bugger again. I never thought of this, but a PV solar engineer did, and when he explained to me what is happening in some places I was quite surprised it had happened already.

Nobody mentioned that!

So just like Spain......we will soon see that while it works, it is not the great deal we were sold!

Government sponsored disasters.........