PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed in climbing turn
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2012, 13:00
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machdiamond... I don't think I have difficulty with equations and aerodynamics like you stated. Can you point out somethings that I said wrong?

This quote is talking about why, in a climbing turn, the outside wing stalls first.
That was my quote and I was talking about a climbing turn. That's the key difference.

Roll-Wise Torque Budget [Ch. 9 of See How It Flies]

On your statement that increasing angle of attack increases stall speed: it is the load factor that increases stall speed, it does not matter how you increase the load factor.
Maybe to yourself it doesn't matter what increases the load factor but there is nothing wrong with stating that the increase in load factor was due to the increase in AoA. I don't believe anything I've said is wrong. If you were to read what I said and follow along with my examples I was giving, it's pretty clear to me. I think we're all past the fact that load factor directly affects the stall speed, according to the equation that I provided!

Your are stating a general problem...
No I was not! It was a very specific example and I clearly noted that.

If you want a good understanding of stall, focus on angle of attack. The way you express stall margin as a speed that is above or below the one of your airplane is extremely confusing and impractical.
I have a good understanding of stall. This is the Flight Testing forum - I think talking about things other than the standard stuff you would get told in a beginner pilot course on aerodynamics would be appropriate. It seems that me going one step beyond the load factor bit and identifying that, in this case, the increase in AoA is what caused that increase in stall speed was too much.