PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA PPL (A) to FAA CPL/IR
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2002, 22:40
unclearthur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my FAA CPL and IR last year (2001) in California. If you already have the IMC rating, you should have little difficulty with the IR. There is more to it but provided you can stay ahead of the aeroplane, you should be OK. I had quite a bit of instrument time (150 hrs sim and 45 actual)and did the FAA IR in 16 working days. I then did the multi rating and multi IR add on (4 more days). The multi add on simply demands two ILS approaches, one with everything working and the other with the normal instuments/engine out. It can be done at the tail end of the multi check.

The CPL is done in two stages, single and multi - they are two separate ratings and you should aim to do both if you are serious about getting a sensible job. Again, the CPL (single and multi)took me about 16 days. One thing that slowed me down was the need to do all the pre flight test hours that were required. For example, if you look at the FAA AIM, you will see that you need certain day and night cross country qualifications. Few people will have done a multi engine 300NM cross country for example.

Drop me an e mail if you want more info. Happy to chat on the phone if you want.

[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: PPRuNe Towers ]</p>