PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - few questions to freshers......!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 20:24
bayblade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Have you ever had an Emergency?
yes, it was on my second solo when i was approaching my destination airport. i had a partial avionics failure, there was very little communication that i could do and the airport was quite busy at this time. it could not establish a positive clearance to land and was hesitant to tell them that i could not hear them.

2. How did you deal with it?
I'm not proud of what i did then, but I'll be honest. i knew that i had to squawk 7600 but i was of the opinion that since its an avionics failure the transponder would not work at all. (i know its crazy!) i circled above the circuit pattern, well above all the traffic (all seeing all that traffic below me was quite a scare) and followed light gun signals. after landing my instructor was furious at me for not squawking the code since its a busy aerodrome and that could have saved the controllers a lot of guess work but i was also given a pat on my back for following the light gun signals accurately.

Who have been your role model's, or who has had the most influence on you?
well I've witnessed a dear friend dealing with major family and financial crisis, a type that would cripple most of us, but he did not give up, instead he walked a greater mile in search of a solution and he did succeed at it. i draw lots of courage from him.

apart from him, my grandparents live a very disciplined life. be it rain, thunder, hail or heat they have never lived a day different from the other. they live every day with more compassion and energy. i love this trait in them. being from the same family i know i have the same streak somewhere in me. it just needs to be discovered.

What goal's do you have?
when i was a kid i had many goals. as i grew older i realized that you can't have it all.
i wanted to heal the sick, teach the underprivileged, fight for the weak and fly in the air.
today my goals are different, i want to make my parents proud, i want to live with pride, i want to be an asset to my company and the old fashioned goals like car, clothes and house is what i want to achieve. and all this can only materialize when i start earning well, until then its just a dream.

What are some goal's that you had that were never achieved, and how did you deal with it?
I would not share this here i'll pm you perhaps. also at this age there is not much that I've had to lose, whatever that's been lost can be made up

Where do you see yourself in 10 year's?
i see myself training an an anxious first officer 10 years from now and I'll make it happen. I'm here to stay. on the personal front, some wonderful additions to my family.

What is your greatest accomplishment?
I'm actually happy the way I've come so far in this field but i think landing my first job would be my greatest accomplishment.

We have a 5:30am show every morning, how do you feel about that?
I'd be comfortable with it. i 'm trying to live towards a well disciplined life, so i don't think this would be a problem at all. and I've been taught work is worship, how can i complain!

The Capt. continues an approach beyond minimum's, he tell's you that he's shot this approach a 1,000 times, know's the area, and everything's fine. What will you do?
like mentioned before, I'd ask him to go-around. after that I'd do one of two things:
* if the coast look clear to me I'd let him continue the approach without disturbing him at this crucial stage, given the fact that he has not turned into a 'captain' overnight, once on ground i'll report the matter to the concerned authorities.
* if the situation looks certain that we'd land in danger if an immediate corrective action is not taken then I'll take over the controls.

i am not really sure if this is how this situation should be dealt with. as taking over the controls during a crucial phase of flight is no less a stupidity, it could lead to more chaos and hence a catastrophic result.

You find your Capt. drinking before a flight, how will you handle this?
report it over to the authorities concerned. they can conduct breather analyses, after which its not my concern.

You are talking to the Capt., and you smell alcohol. Although you didn't see him drinking, what would you do?
same action as the previous question.

You smell smoke in the cockpit, what initial action should you take?
supply myself and the captain 100% oxygen. ask the flight attendant if there is any sign of smoke else where in the pax area (which would be unlikely but I'd like to still know), detect the source of smoke and its probable reason, follow the operations manual and land if we fail to cease the smoke.

The Capt. tell's you the smoke is normal and it will clear itself, 15 minutes later the condition is growing worse. The Capt. gives you the same response.. now, what would you do?
here again i would be uncomfortable to defy the captain and his judgement as i know he has earned his right to be in the left seat, but despite that fact I'd like tell him that blindness due to the smoke is one of my prime concern due to which i want to land the plane declaring a may day call and squawk 7700.

i'll answer the other question soon.

Last edited by bayblade; 11th May 2012 at 20:43.