PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Federal Budget 2012
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 15:18
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
And this is all related to FBT how?
Good point. The conversation was deflected by a rather insensitive and ignorant post regarding asylum seekers. Bad things happen when good people do nothing in the face of attitudes of ignorance and persecution. Unfortunately the thread has gone off topic, and I am partly responsible for that. Perhaps the mods will edit out the offending posts. However personally, I don't feel comfortable letting such statements and attitudes go without comment.

Gobbledock, you are correct. I do not like your post. The reason I do not like it is that it reflects the views of intolerance and xenophobia that are completely unhelpful to any situation regarding refugees or asylum seekers or illegal immigrants. Even if you take aside those personal views, your position is against our obligations under international law.

TG, you make so many incorrect assumptions that any conclusion you come to is bound to be wrong.

Keg, I see your point, but we are bound by international treaty to assess the status of these people. I believe that we should do that efficiently, effectively and treat the people with dignity. If they are found not to meet the threshold criteria as legitimate asylum seekers, then they are treated accordingly. Yes there will be people trying to take advantage of the situation and slip past. That is a fact of life. I don't like that either, but the pragmatic reality is that although these situations are high profile and easily spark racist, prejudiced feelings amongst the weak minded, they don't pose anywhere near the economic burden of other real issues that are being ignored.

Coming here on a boat for economic advantage and pissing off the people who are already here is something that has been going on on this continent for several centuries A mate of mine described this situation as a bit like the Indian train: everyone fights like hell to get on, then fights like hell to stop anybody else doing the same thing.

Regards...