PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Actions on Interception
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 12:15
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting question re: an intercept when IMC prevail. Had a look at the leaflet and otherwise it is pretty clear, however my concern is that the use of non-standard procedures is not a help to anyone. I'd regard an intercept as a rather high-stress situation, more so if one has inadvertantly wandered into the zone by accident as result of becoming "temporarily unaware of position". Under those circumstances it is not a good idea to have non-standard procedures and be trying to remember/follow them, all whilst having to deal with Tiffies/Apaches suddenly racing up alongside you and trying to figure out where you are and what to do.

I understand that national security is a primary concern, however from the pilot's perspective the swiss cheese effect is impossible to ignore, and that things might end up being made worse by enforcement of non-standard, well-known procedure.

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to anyone, however the potential's all too great for someone inexperienced to have a bad day, make a mistake and end up having to deal with an interception, or worse consequences; I note the specific mention of "Use Of Lethal Force". Hmm. So if a microlight gets lost and happens to be heading for Olympic Village it may very well end up with an AIM9 or a Rapier up the chuff. Is one being very slightly too silly/cynical to query at whether this is a mite extreme, and further to the point when did the UK suddenly decide to adopt Cold War-era Soviet defence tactics?

Smithy

Last edited by Captain Smithy; 11th May 2012 at 12:16.