PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 11:54
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always distressing when everyone's talking and no-one takes a second to listen:

Originally Posted by bubbers44
I don't think it would take an ace to know at 35,000 ft you can not have the yoke in your gut. The PNF would have reacted but with the SS he didn't.
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
Just to point out a few indisputable facts:
  • Northwest Airlines Flight 6231 (B727) - PNF had yoke in his lap during stall, did nothing.
  • Birgenair Flight 301 (757) - PNF had yoke in his lap during stall, did nothing.
  • Air Florida Flight 90 (737) - PNF had yoke in his lap during stall, did nothing.
Originally Posted by aguadalte
The provocative answer to that question would be: "because Airbuses were designed by engineers but unfortunately flown by pilots"...
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
...I know that a popular conception among some has the Airbus FBW control system being dreamed up by a bunch of us computer geeks, none of whom had ever set foot inside a flight deck, but it just isn't true. I've mentioned this before, but the system was overseen by none other than the late Captain Gordon Corps, who was not only one of the most respected pilots of his day but also a colleague (and briefly the successor) of the late D.P. Davies, who wrote the seminal book on heavy jet operation still in use today. In terms of informed knowledge on the technical and operations aspect of airliners you simply can't get much more clout than that.