PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounce landing recovery technique
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2002, 12:03
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Stillin1. I think you have overcontrolled - oops!! I meant over-reacted, on this subject. I may have worded the original query badly - so here we go again.

If a student balloons slightly due overcontrol, slight gust of wind etc, he can either open up and go-around (costs another $30 for a circuit) or he can apply a judicious trickle of power and easing the aircraft back down gently, touch down smoothly another 100 yards further on. That is surely a much safer solution than a balls-to-the-wall half stalled go-around with everything hanging down and the skid ball dangerously full scale. People have killed themselves on go-arounds but one hears of few fatalities caused by a recovery and land from a high hold off or a bounce.

Most bounces in the tricycle undercarriage aircraft are not bounces but porpoising - and that is where a very comfortable re-landing can be made providing the student has been taught correctly by a competent instructor.

From where I stand, it appears that few new instructors have been taught the basic skills of high hold off recovery. Yet this technique was taught to thousands of students in Tiger Moth and Chipmunk days. Why is it not taught now?