PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 08:00
Windle Poons

The Fresh Start Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya Wagging Finger.

As per line one of my post, the 1+8 is for non 24hr rather than 24hr bases, and the figures were given by NPAS last week. As of writing I can't remember what the 24hr base staffing levels were. It's the age you know!

NPAS stated that they had calculated the 1+8 figures based on 30 days off per person per year. There was let us say some 'debate' over these figures and they added that this was a "starting point" and could be reviewed if found to be wanting. I would think that the 30 days off refers only to leave and does not take account of the other factors you mention.

NPAS have provided the figures and so, working with fixed staffing levels and a fixed number of rostered days off (given the shift length), I have not been able to factor in the items you mention, however I have given regard to them.

Because of the admin days, all the rosters provide 4 days of spare cover per week (208 per year) from within the TFO group, plus the base manager will be working 178 days per year (4 days per week, less the NPAS 30 days assumed leave, if they work a similar shift length and pattern to the TFOs). That totals 386 days cover per year to cover 240 days leave (8 TFOs times 30 days as the base manager does not need cover), which in theory works.

I appreciate that this is very simplistic and gives no account of the base managers other responsibilities that might prevent them flying, but if 208 days cover comes from within the TFO pool itself, then there should only be the need for the base manager to fly 32 shifts each year. There would however need to be some flexibility in the other TFO shifts to cover leave, as the person on admin/cover may not be able to work the actual shift that needs to be covered. Good will required! Possibly not on a £6k paycut!

Once again I appreciate that these calculations may not survive the real world (no plan survives contact with then enemy and all that) and that they take no account of sickness, injury, courses, training etc. etc. That said you need to start somewhere and overtime (NPAS cry of "ouch" but still cheaper than another TFO) may need to be utilised to cover shortfalls on occasions, much as it is now. Unfortunately as already stated given a fixed staffing level and need to cover defined shifts, you can only come up with certain rosters, and have little latitude for taking account of anything.

All the above are not perfect, but they provide some resilience and a reasonable work life balance.

WP

Last edited by Windle Poons; 11th May 2012 at 08:20.