PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 22:42
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
He will learn and grow both as a pilot and as a human being.
Yes, I see your point. However, regardless of age, if one wants the privilage of freedom in the sky, one must rise to a minimum maturity to earn it. Like many here I'm sure, I was out and about on my own in planes when I was 16, and before I learned to drive. One has to meet the mark for the privilage. I have to hope that the provider of the aircraft will keep that under control. I remeber one winter day, off on a solo cross country (I used to make them up, while I was waiting to be old enough to take the flight test). I reminded myself that out over the fozen lake in central Ontario, I was probably 30 miles from the nearest other person. No help for me if I got myself in trouble, so better not. It matures you up quick! EGKB has yet to show that they are there - in my opinion. As long as he/she begins to get a hint that there is so much to be learned.

How do I communicate to EGKB that with well more than a thousand times his/her flying time, I still have occasions where I worry about what's happening during a flight, and remind myself to sharpen up, and pay attention. My challenge is that I really have no excuse for a stupid beginner type accident any more, so if I mess up, I'm going to have to have a really good reason, or I'll look like a fool! (and deserve it!).

Pilot-DAR - I have my own (non-t.p.) thoughts regarding your charts, but I'll wait for your explanation to see if I'm even remotely close!
Yeah, I have not forgotten. I'm trying to give EGKB every opportunity to rise to my challenge - perhaps it's taking time to program this into MSFS to have the simulator model it - to figure out what it is! When EGKB declares their intentions I'll come back to it!

By the way Genghis, Happily the SM1019 is not type approved in Canada - they fly on a flight permit here. I was required to gather post modification flight test results and data for a flight authority reissue, but not an approval, so previous non conformances could be left as is. The mod was not suspected as having any effect on pitch stability at all, so I was not expected to investigate this characteristic - I just found it anyway!

In the mean time, here's a hint photo. I was in the back seat this flight, training the company pilot with what I had found during my testing. Conditions: Completely stable, level, unaccelerated flight, 60 degrees of flap, mid C of G range, mid weight, trimmed for 60 knots, and 70% power. The company pilot was very surprized! (EGKB - he had run out of something he needed!)