PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digital engine monitors
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 22:12
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleared

Here is the truth.
I don't run LOP though Well, not since I burnt an exhaust valve in a big way. Am told it was either guide wear or I just plain got it wrong.
If you burnt an exhaust valve from running LOP, it could only have been from being say 10dF LOP while at 1000' at 29" and 2700RPM......that would heat your heads up really well and eventually cause distortion, which leads to a valve problem.

Please tell me you did not do that?

The reason you had a valve problem, and my guess is this was a factory built jug from TCM, was the valve guides were inserted and not "post reamed" and the poor little valve never stood a chance at being square to the seat.

Too many myths perpetuated by people who know very little about the topic, but are qualified to work on your engine. More myths repeated over the years.

I see you said you needed expert help to understand all the graphs, that is great, but my point is after that do you really understand what the graphs are telling you, it is one thing to understand the monitor and what it SAYS, it is another to understand what it is TELLING you.

This was the big AaaaHaaa moment for me. And that is the moment that very few people get to experience I have found. This is not something that can be gained from jst a few posts on pprune either.