PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A breath of fresh air at last. One pilots view of CRM
Old 10th May 2012, 21:27
piratepete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours?

Slasher, im sure you are right in your instance about the 24000 hours on board, however in my 38 years (ive been flying jets for 33 years), ive been in many many situations where ive had very similar high hours in the FD and CRM issues have been a big problem for my airplane caused by the "experienced" trouble-maker in the other seat.A lot of this is caused by either ego problems over there, point scoring etc, or competition with me, and on many occasions just sheer incompetence.Ive seen it all.
Now im an instructor I tend to get better co-operation, but now and again the point-scoring issue crops up and im experienced enough to see this for what it is.
In reality CRM is really about covering each other and catching mistakes before they bite you (TEM).It is not a licence to be a ******** to the Captain.This, in my case anyway means a withdrawal of the "priviledge" of sectors from the other guy, they usually get the message and adjust their behaviour accordingly.
Its a cliche of course, but a FO being allowed to fly is a priviledge and not a right.I like the description of CRM from an older guy years ago as "ABC" (ATTITUDE AND BEHAVIOUR in the COCKPIT) Pete.