PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 21:07
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan the weegie
Okay, shouldn't have been drawn in, total troll, or idiot, or both
Sad to say I have to agree with you. EGKB figures he has it all figured out with a whole 6 hours of flying experience

I have had to deal with a few flight simmers over the years. The only way to break them of the habit of staring at the instruments and never looking outside, was to cover them up.

The general consensus from my students that at the end of the day their flight simming did not help them with the core flying skills.

I had one very opinionated student who was convinced like EGKB, that he already had all the skills he needed courtesy of a large ego and 1000 hours on MSFS. I got him passed on to me as a "problem student" with about 8 hours of dual logged. On the first flight I gave him a challenge.

I would start straight and level at cruise speed cover all the instruments and then reduce power and let the airplane settle down announcing what the new airspeed was and noting that the altitude had not changed uncovering the instruments to prove I was right and then recovering them. I would then resume cruise power and again uncover the instruments to show the same altitude and the predicted airspeed.

I then promised that if he could do the same thing he would get all their instruments back and I wouldn't comment on where to look

Not surprisingly he didn't do very well. At that point I told him the deal. If he wanted to continue with me we were going to start over with attitudes and movements done totally visually and progress through all the foundation exercises with the instruments only uncovered when appropriate.

There was no second lesson He went to another instructor and finally soloed after 22 hours in the circuit because despite his best efforts he found it impossible to land only by looking at the instruments and practice landing the aircraft on MSFS didn't really help him when it came to landing a real airplane