PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 14:54
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Family visit? Or you were flying across?
I'm working for a German client on their turbine DC-3 for a few days.

I still think you guys are a bit too "black and white" if you will. If don't use the technique you'll crash and die
It's true, nearly always, you can "get away" with mistakes while piloting. Occasionally, it takes every bit of skill you have. It's those times you have to have the insticnt right as a foundation of your skill. When something goes wrong, something else is right behind it, and you will be overwhelmed. that is the worst time to be trying to recall the unpractised "right way" of doing things.

Why are new soldiers made to march around the parade grounds for hours? Stiff body marching is really not an element of warfare - but following instruction is!

My observation is that you present a bit too much rebellion for my comfort. Now, I don't have to fly with you.... But, I still care. Every oppportunity I have to make our industry more safe, by "redirecting" a pilot to the better way, I will, 'cause it benefits all of us. I don't know who you are, but if you make a smoking hole somewhere, and I could have had a small part in influencing better skills and attitute for you, and preventing it and did not, I let you, and our whole industry down.

Readers here get an awesome amout of free wisdom here. Why are the experienced pilots spending so much time providing it - 'cause we like to type? Old pilots don't like to type! But we do feel a responsibility to grow and mentor a safe industry, and prevent careless or REBELLIOUS behaviour when we think we see it. If I heard you say what I have seen you write, would I rent you my plane? Not a hope! There is a world full of "keener" new pilots who seek nothing other than an opportunity, and they'll be very co-operative to get it - I was one. They sure are not going to rebel. So why would the provider of airplanes and flying want to endure a rebel?

When I fly with new pilots aboard, I pay particular attention to not fall into my casual flying habits, and demonstrate poor airmanship (which I should not be doing anyway, of course - but did I say I was perfect here?). Thus I will write here - the right way, which are your stage of flying, is the way you are taught. Maybe I agree with it, maybe not so much, but I'm not going to give you standing to "buck the system" at this young age - no one let me, when I was flying at 15! You have to march the drill first for a while!

But, after all of that, I'm not distracted - I have not forgotten that I challenged you... Are you up for it!