PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weight vs ROD in Autorotation
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 14:13
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't read many maintenance manual but a simple R22 says when adjusting auto RPM, lever must be full down. Their (Beta) difference between min and max AUW is 205 Kg and min and max power off rpm is 102. Variance is thus a straight line affair.

All machines need a design to not exceed either limit at each weight marker with the lever right down. Otherwise how would the ROD be arrested at the bottom if the lever is already half up, godamm?

In the auto there is only one power source

At min AUW, lever down and RPM at the bottom of the green the A of A might be higher than at max AUW because then RPM will be at top of green, even though the pitch setting relative to the rigging is the same.

This is because the blades are travelling at a faster tip speed at the high AUW, so more power is being consumed, thus the ROD should be higher?

But how much different will the A of A be? The relative airflow at a higher ROD will be from a different direction. If uncle Nick was here he'd most likely nail it in a second.

Operationally which is what counts; as far as range is concerned, when helicopter is empty I land way over there, full right up, it's right here now.

The ROD for each weight marker I have experimented with but don't remember just now, I'll check it out in a few days, but at least this is more relaxing than budget debate on telly.

cheers tet