PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 14:00
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmm! Confused!

Perhaps my thoughts can be best expressed by quoting this post of mine from the Future Carrier thread:

GK121

Interesting. Surely if the build was slowed for political reasons, then it can be speeded back up?

Also I understand that there is nothing to stop Illustrious being retained post 2014 (until QE comes along). Even in a LPH role, having more than one flat top gives a margin of safety in case of accidents or other unexpected things (Lusty recently sustained some damage on exercise). Things do crop up - like this possible deployment to Somalia.

Mach Two

Perhaps this would be better discussed on the "No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B" thread?

We don't have any to embark. The UK doesn't operate Harriers.
I have noticed that. But other countries do, and their jets could be embarked. There was also talk at one time of an RN Hornet squadron - why not an RN AV8B squadron?

If F35B is chosen, the RN and RAF pilots need to be worked up on that, not a type we no longer have.
What about the guys flying the F/A18? The UK has never operated that, and I think the idea for RN guys to fly them was to build CTOL experience. If the future is not CTOL, but V/STOL, then perhaps training on AV8B will be more suitable for a future transition of F35B? An RN AV8B squadron has other attractions too (such as giving us back a task force capability this decade). The politicians (the PM mostly) looked into the crystal ball with closed eyes, and saw nothing unexpected this decade.

The Americans want to UK to have a decent carrier capability - seeing us as a very important ally.

Carrier crews will need to be worked-up once the new carrier is being introduced to service. Quite a way to go yet.
Hmm! I am not sure the Officers quoted here would agree:

The lack of adequately training personnel could delay the carrier coming into service by another three or four years, the Navy commander has said.

Another officer has told The Telegraph that the loss of carrier deck handling skills could prove "disastrous" with fatal accidents caused by inexperienced ratings.

Or indeed the First Sea Lord: Loss of Carrier Strike Capability Top Concern of Royal Navy Chief

F35B or F35C, we still have to get there. Current policy does not answer several key questions?

How will we maintain and develop carrier related skills this decade?

What will we do if we need to provide a task group with air defence beyond the range of ship based sensors and weapons, or if ROE demand positive ID before things can be engaged?

How will we make up for the shortfall in maritime force projection, given that SSN numbers will decline this decade, so there will be less TLAM shooters, and Apache is limited in sped, range, and payload, and available only in limited numbers?
I wonder if the cost issue is the only one, or if training and skills (and current capabilities this decade) come into it? Issues which, of course, were discussed at length both on PPRuNe and elsewhere...

cokecan

You mean keep Lusty on in the LPH role - perhaps as Ocean is (reportedly) in a piss poor state?

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 10th May 2012 at 19:26.