PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 12:59
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no proper knowledge of FW operating from carriers even though I flew off them in helos for years. Which is why I ask this question to those who are more in the know regarding FW assets and capabilities.

We are a 2nd division military contributor to the West (SDSR saw to that). We could sink even lower if circumstances get worse in the next 5-10yrs.
Why are we 'trying' to keep up with the Jones's w.r.t. the best/newest FW in the world? When will we ever learn to project our own needs rather than cow tow to the coat tails of others.
When (if ever) will we really need the cutting edge technology of Typhoon for example? Why then are we even going down the road of F35's...what is the point? When if ever will these beasts be needed to exercise their superiority as modern day fighters/bombers?
What is wrong with continuing to build the best carrier platform in the world (because of fwd projection needs) but instead of the F35 (et al)...why not buy a plethora of F18's or Rafale even?? I bet you could get 2 or even 3 F18's for every F35. Tested, tried and proven...probably capable of coping with the needs of the Uk for atleast the next 20yrs. Why do we always insist on cutting edge unproven technology?
BAe have said the revised launch process will cost billions.....we all know why that is don't we? Have you known any government tell a prime contractor where to go at this stage in the process? I suppose their mitigation is that it will safeguard jobs.

Let's all learn from the Canadians here: They are struggling with Merlin's 6 years after ordering them and still not front line. They are struggling with S92's, years later and they now find they are struggling with the F35 procurement process.
NEVER, EVER, BUY NEW...is my motto (even if you can afford it).