Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 10:58
Narrow Runway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murray NN,

You are deluded. To suggest that:

1) Your wages are good - absolutely no package to speak of at all, and;

2) That just because people point this out to you, they must have failed a Ryanair selection.

You are symptomatic of the disease that is the apathy inside Ryanair. A cancer (probably literally in the end) to yourself and others in this industry. A wallflower, too scared to stand up for better T & C's - even though you understand that you need them, but can't admit it openly.

Even on the most conservative scale, here is what it must cost you to go to work annually:

1) Uniform : £100
2) Car parks : £200
3) Crew meals : £1500
4) Loss of Licence : £300 - 500
5) Pension : £ 6000
6) Accommodation when at work: £3500
7) Income protection : £1500
8) Transport at your non - base : £1000
9) Medical : £250
10) Simulator: £1000

If you take this approximate £15,500/Euro 18,500 from your headline pay, it starts to bite a little.

Add to that fact, that only an imbecile would consider £6000 a year as sufficient pension contributions considering the extraordinarily low annuity rates you will receive upon retirement.

I'd say you're on a crap deal in all honesty.

Without boasting, I work 2 weeks on/off. Have my roster fixed like that for eternity. My basic pay is circa £80,000 plus a further £10,000 to cover any per diems. But, if I need more, the company credit card picks up the slack. 5* hotels down route. Don't fancy driving to work because it's a late start/long haul etc, then get a cab - company paid. Feel tired after work? Go to the hotel - company paid, or get a cab - yep, you guessed it, company paid. Crew meal? Well, the girls ask us what we want and source it for us every time.

Pension? Yes, we have a company scheme.
Death in service benefits? Yes, 4 x salary.
Private medical for you and family? Yes.
Downroute medical? Yes.
Bonus? 41% of salary last year.

Now, I know that I am extremely fortunate, and that not many jobs are like mine. But to suggest that your floating base, "contractor" status is good, is frankly risible.

I think I forgot to mention that we also don't fly on Saturdays - ever. Therefore, 95% of weekends are at home - off duty.

If I were you, I'd think again about that "sweet deal" you're on.

Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I have never applied to fly for Ryanair. Do you think I should?