PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats dress code
Thread: Nats dress code
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 09:03
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lon More,my friend,no-one has 'died and made me God',but what a great idea that would be for a thread - what would you change (I suppose it will have to be in aviation terms) if you became The Big Boss.

I assume you did not see my post in which I suggested 'tongue in cheek', and with 3 smilies,that as P6 Driver is not a NATS ( or even civilian) ATCO his inputs on dress,no doubt also made tongue in cheek,are not relevant.

He is a serviceman, who recently made a post in the Military Aircrew section regarding receiving his pension in a few weeks time, when he is 55 I believe.A serviceman's take on working life and conditions is often markedly different from a civilians,I know because I spent 8 years as a navigator in the RAF and my eldest son spent 20 years as a pilot. When a service boss says 'jump', you reply 'how high Sir', whereas in civvy street when a boss , let's say a NATS manager, says to someone like a well-trained and well-motivated ATCO, 'Jump', they reply 'Why,what for,if you show me a good reason,then I will jump'.

When I did my Aerodrome training at Brum' dear old Dave Vaughan waved an IPCS application form under my nose. 'I don't like unions' says I,'Typical ex-RAF response' says Dave 'You'll see the light eventually'.

Of course he was right, the penny eventually dropped that union membership wasn't just about pay and strikes, but all sorts of terms and conditions of service.

Back to the OP, who in principle I agree with (and so does my other son, a Swanwick controller), although he did overstate his case somewhat. The union should be looking at every aspect of T & C's, as if management think they can impose their will in one area and win, it won't be too long before another area is under attack.

Finally for those who float the idea of some sort of uniform or corporate identity dress, be careful what you wish for! Polo shirts and chinos may be fine today but you bet that in a few years time we will hear of items such as jewellery and crucifixs being banned - just look at BA!

Back to my bathchair, regards to all, Brian W