PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Help!
Thread: Career Help!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 07:49
Callum95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career Help!

Hi people,

I am a 16 year old (17 in november) male who is aspiring to become a fighter pilot in the Royal Air Force, I'm returning to the UK from Australia within the next two months due to family problems.

The reason behind why i am writing on here is because I need some help from experienced people regarding my options. im fit, have 20/20 vision and have wanted to fly for as long as i can remember but there is a problem... My uncle unfortunately aqquired cancer a few years back but my family and i have had frequent "holidays" (if you could call them that) to and from the UK, at least 3 times a year to support him, with this comes educational difficulties because of the lack of attendance and the emotional trauma, i was achieving the Australian equivalent of 5 GCSE's but obviously fell behind, i now have 3 options upon my return to the UK, i would like help finding the best.

Option 1: Get an apprenticeship as an Avionics Technician and go to night school throughout the apprenticeship, once i have finished and got my GCSE's and A-levels, apply for the air force as a pilot and hopefully get in that way.

Option 2: Join the RAF Regiment as a Gunner and attempt to work my way up to becoming a pilot but I have heard that this isnt such a smart move.

Option 3: Join the British Army as a ground crewman working on the likes of the Apache and the Lynx, get my GCSE's and A-levels whilst i'm in there and once my 4 years of service are done, leave and join the air force as a pilot.

I hope anyone can give me sufficient advice to help me reach my dream.

Thanks, Callum