PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 10th May 2012, 03:36
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Baswell, I am not going to argue with you because, even though I don't agree with you, I do see where you are coming from.

I think what most people on here are angry about is that lack of choice. If the carbon tax is being introduced to force people to use less carbon (which is what I beleive it is intended to do) then what are my options for using less carbon?

For example, fuel. Oil based fuel = bad. Renewable fuel = good. I think eveybody would agree that saving the planet (if indeed it needs saving, but that is another argument) is a good idea. The problem comes when we park our plane/car at the bowser. Fuel has gone up, because the carbon tax has made it go up, and me being a good environmentalist wants to save the environment and some money.......what choice do I have? I can either buy oil based fuel or............... I can buy another oil based fuel.

And that is the point.

The idea is that one can pay the least amount of carbon tax based on choices you are willing to make about how much money you want to spend. If you can afford it then you can wreck carnage on the environment. If I want to be more environmental in my choices then I can pay less tax.

But at the moment, there are no choices in anything (electricity, gas, fuel) and being environemntal may cost more. We have no choice and that is what is Pi88ing people off!

The ultimate test of any tax is that there has to be away to pay less or little/none based on choices you can make. So Baswell, I will ask this. In my everyday living as a consumer how do I reduce the amount of carbon tax I will have to pay? without turning my house into a candle lit cave and converting my Subaru to peddle power?

Alpha