PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the reason to apply to QR?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 23:46
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with both Redline and Postern. A DEC job at QR would be a good transition if you qualify for it. There are positives and negatives to every airline job. If, for example, you are a current Iberia Airbus pilot who flies 650-700 hours per year (according to your management ), this A320 roster at QR would be considered a nightmare. You would work so much harder on a "relative" basis when compared to many airlines. But there are other pilots who could fly that roster no problem. Pilots should just be prepared to work hard regardless of fleet because pilot productivity is a top priority. Do your homework and manage your own expectations.

If you can handle the work load and cultural differences, I think there are many benefits to flying for these Middle Eastern airlines - especially for Europeans as aviation in that region is going to the crapper with lower pay and more LCC competition on the horizon. I would expect more pilots from Austrian, Sterling, Germania, SAS, BMIBaby, Olympic/Aegean, Kingfisher and other struggling airlines with diminished wage growth (or future job loss) will be looking at the Middle Eastern airline positions in more detail in the very near future. With LCC domination and a sputtering economy throughout Europe, the Middle Eastern airlines should have their pick of very qualified pilots looking for career growth prospects and marginally better wages/benefits. With Europe faltering, I would go where the growth is...

Plus, if you are going to fly anyway, you might as well fly a nice, new Airbus or Dreamliner fresh off the assembly line. I flew on a BA A320 recently and the interior was old and dilapidated - no wonder the European airlines are afraid of the far nicer EK, QR and EY products.

Last edited by Iver; 9th May 2012 at 23:59.