PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 35 U.S gallon tank capacity, but is it really?
Old 9th May 2012, 23:27
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35 U.S gallon tank capacity, but is it really?

Howdy people,

just came back from the club………my hands (and now my keyboard) reek of fuel oil still ; as I just filled up my plane to the brim for the very 1st time.

I am gonna do a little X-country tomorrow, I guess the fuel quantity will be overkill……..but I deem it useful to know exactly what the plane´s capabilities are.
And what about that phrase "never too much fuel unless you`re on fire" or something rather…….??

Hoping for nice weather like last time; what is a PPRuNe-thread without a nice scenic pic???:

My question: how do you go about filling your plane up to a 100%, say for a long X-country? I must have spilled half a gallon (to say the least) here and there, and the plane was almost on an almost perfectly level floor (hangar).

I know tomorrow, I will be taxiing and leaving a trail of fuel behind over these bumps and I better fly perfectly level the 1st half an hour!
Any idea how much fuel could be lost by the above factors?
I would never fly it to its maximum range anyway, I guess that is why you keep that bit up your sleeve at any time.

But still, I was wondering if any of you have experience with this.
How realistic are the manufacturers numbers with regards to fuel capacity?

Cheers,

###Ultra Long Hauler###