Old 9th May 2012, 21:51
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Human brain

Originally Posted by LYMAN #63 may 7.2012
roulishollandais

From Norman paper:

4. TWO THOUGHT EXPERIMENTS
Consider two thought experiments. In the first, imagine a captain of a plane who turns control over to the autopilot, as in the case studies of the loss of engine power and the fuel leak. In the second thought experiment, imagine that the captain turns control over to the first officer, who flies the plane 'by hand'. In both of these situations, as far as the captain is concerned, the control has been automated: by an autopilot in one situation and by the first officer in the other. But in the first situation, if problems occur, the autopilot will compensate and the crew will notice only by chance (as in the case study of the fuel leak). When automatic devices compensate for problems silently and efficiently, the crew is 'out of the loop', so that when failure of the compensatory equipment finally occurs, they are not in any position to respond immediately and appropriately.

Here is the major portion of the problem, aisi. Delegating command is (become) not an enhancement, but a degradation of efficiency. In a delicate system that needs constant monitoring, it is unsafe to lose currency in the dynamic system. More is lost into the automation than is gained by mere "reduced workload", and in an emergent recapture of man control, the system has become functionally unknown to the operator! This is not a major knock on the automatic, instead it points out a glaring deficiency in the fundamental design of the system. Instead of a fluent and fluid "intermodal", we at times have an "extra modal".

This extra (outlaw) mode can be described loosely, IMHO, as: "Loss Of Control"....

Best regards
Hi Lyman,
I shall answer to your post, give me ten days please.
I want to show you how we can be closer to system theory. Man's brain doesn't work like logic, also scientific's and engineer's brain : so we must stay very close to system definitions, after we first write and imagine with our imagination, our personnality and our sensibility.