PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 diverted to CWL
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2002, 22:59
dicksynormous
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one roghead. Too often captains make decisions that are deemed to be unquestionable because of the "commanders perogotive, I'm in command ,This is my aircraft" type of philosophy.
None of the above absolves an individual from being answerable or censurable if the reaction was innappropiate. The current uk pro pilot attitude of overkill is imho a result of not being properly versed in the overall affect of the use of certain alert calls.
In general in non airworthy situations a request for priority may suffice. I believe an atco would be of assistance in order not to clog up his airspace. failure to get the necessary would entitle and upgrade to pan and so on.

Managing non urgent (as in airworthy) situations with the highest priority overkill as a blanket reaction, indicates equal measures of rushed decision making and dare i say it lack of professionalism not bucket loads of it.
After all if flite didnt think their decisions were sacrosanct to outsiders (ie public, mangement and cabin crew) we woudnt need crm would we!!

No patronising replies please, i am one of you just not as arrogant as some.

I'll be in my office.