PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 17:44
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mac User

Having finally had it with poxy Vista I've done the deed and got a (used) macBook Airbut am struggling to do much more with it than surf the net. Previous owner reloaded the OS as a fresh installation and I've downloaded the latest updates. This thread looks superb but it is so big it is hard to find what I need, no doubt its here somewhere! Bear with me!

Although I am supposed to have ilife (its automatically there, right?) there is no word processor except a toy thing called Text Edit and no photo management programme, shouldn't I have iphoto? If I do its not in the dock - how do I find it? Why wouldn't it be there? I have looked everywhere I can think of but no joy. Is this the best prog for basic photo management and filing - I don't mess with them so simple filing is about all I need.

Which word processor is recommended?
Is Firefox an improvement on Safari?

I can import MS Word files from my PC but can't open them - aren't .doc /.docx files compatible - I thought they were?

Ipad. I want to sync my ipad 2 with the new macbook but it tells me that I can't sync with two computers and must delete the content of the ipad before I sync it with the (empty) macbook. I want to sync the ipad up to the macbook. Can I? Esp keen to get diary/calendar datail across, either from the ipad or the old PC where it is in Outlook format. How to?

Best way to transfer data between PC and MAc? Wireless? Bluetooth? (Can't make them pair)? Currently the only way that's worked is an ext hard drive but that's a bit clunky tho I can live with it.

Any must have progs I should know about?
Any online resources that will help a mac newbie to break the ice?

Scuse the dumb questions - this is all very new!