PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 9th May 2012, 11:10
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I mean it, carbon is a problem, a tax might help, and if it doesn't, we're still one of the lowest tax countries in the world, now with some more much needed revenue. And the tax is probably fairer than at first sight. Companies will simply pass the cost on to consumers.

Paying more for AVGAS sucks, but energy is probably better spent on seeing if we can get some investment back into aviation from the extra revenue.

As a business man, the last thing I want is lower taxes and less public services. How is that working out for the US? The pitiful wages to the majority of the population, which they then have to spend on services the government doesn't provide anymore so they can't afford to buy the goods and services from their own, or any, employers which thus have to lend them money via credit cards or mortgages funded by their employees 401(k) plans until it all blows up. (The only way they can keep it going is by colluding with OPEC to require payment for oil in USD.)

Yes, keep government honest, but judging them simply by tax rates going up or down (did I mention they are some of the lowest in the world?) is not the way to do it.

It is economic outcome that counts. And as far as I can tell, we have one of the best economies and greatest prosperity of any country in the world.