PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alpha Aviation Academy
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 09:20
malirm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Back !!!

Hi Guys, it has been a while since I've posted or even visited this place

So, since I have the time, I will tell you my story, AGAIN & then give my Opinion.

To start with, I have been a part of Alpha since Feb 2009, but officially as a Student I have Joined Alpha Aviation in April 2009. Since there were some students waiting to Join, my course was delayed to start in May, then a further delay to finally start in June 2009.

Ground School:

I spent approx. 7 months in Ground School (as the month of Ramadan was there)...I'd say it was a great challenge to be from the first 12 UAE/MPL cadets doing the Ground school, all had their eyes on us, GCAA/ICAO/Air Arabia/AAA/Other Airlines (I am Sure & I have proof) in addition to some Senior pilots around PPRuNe.

By Early Jan 2010, I was done

Core Flying Phase:

Now, I am Fully ready to fly a Cessna...we were told about a problem in the Aircraft Licensing, then Aircraft Maintenance licensing, then the Facility...then...etc. etc. Although the GM of AAA-UAE was an employee of Air Arabia & was a well known GCAA Examiner...he has failed to accomplish that, he left the companies & found his own career somewhere else on 777s, now, in this BAD time.

Now another GM comes & tries his best...his first idea was to send us to the Philippines...most of us Said Hell YES & pushed for it...thus, everybody has focused on that, it took us a while...why, the GCAA was Auditing & recommending some changes...etc. & happily, after 5 months of waiting, we were sent to the Philippines (note: some of us were done in Sept 2009, thus having a 9 month waiting Period).

In the Philippines, we were Happy, Achieving our Dream & having some great time both on ground & in the air...thanks to Clark & the Philippines, they made my training taste better...although we had bad experiences...some delays in there...usually due to Weather (wet season) & sometime due to instructors shortage (remember, not all of them were authorized to train us), thus, they were giving us some great sim sessions to practice & enjoy while it was Raining/Thuderstorms out there

MCC:

Then, after approx 6 months (Until Nov 2010) in core flying, we were done & back to the UAE, and ofcourse while we were in the Philippines we had the news of the new Sim from Mechtronix & that it was installed, we received some pics from the new batches in Alpha & some of the AAA staff...showing us how it was received & installed...we also had the news about getting it licensed soon as an FNPT II trainer sometime by the time we arrive. But, before we arrive, some stuff happened & the GM had an issue with the GCAA, thus, the training was suspended for a while for the guys in the UAE, and the GM was asked to leave for AAAs & GCAAs sake...thus getting us a new GM, who received it again at an arrival of a new problem...etc.

So, after arriving & waiting for 3 months (By Jan 2011), we started with MCC, with our certified Sim...did half of the sessions, then, stopped for a while as the GCAA has suspended temporarily the license until the Manufacturer of the Sim does some changes to the sim (basically, installing some Circuit Breakers), then continued again...by the end of March, we were Done...fully ready for the Type Rating...ofcourse...through the training...we had some really eperienced instructors who taught us a lot...it was a nice first time experience with them in the MPL program...in addition to the changes made to the Training Managers (Head Of Training)...

Intermediate/Advanced Phases

With the arrival of the New Head of Training (Capt. S.) we were already at home for the 2nd month, waiting to be called from Alpha & start the Type Rating, we heard a lots of stuff about doing it in Dubai, then Tunisia, then Bahrain, then Jordan...etc. it wasn't really clear about the options, until the new HOT has come & made a meeting for us at the end of April, he clarified a lots of stuff, it wasn't only the Sim, but it was also the Training Manuals (syllabus) that needed to be approved in addition to Any instructors...when I say Approved...I mean "MPL Training Approved"...otherwise it would have been a piece of Cake guys.

Thus, he worked to get the Jordanian Sims & Instructors approved & Air Arabia was providing the new Sim Training Syllabus...all got approved in a great manner & time frame (Within 4 months)...by June 2011, we were sent to Jordan for the Ground School & Sim Training...& finished it in 10 weeks,

Base Training:

We were happy & full of energy to get back & do the touch & goes, but, the idea of doing it on non-Air Arabia aircraft & out of the UAE didn't sound right to the GCAA, thus it was a new issue, trying to make the GCAA giving it another thought & letting us do it somewhere out of UAE, but, at the end & after another 4 months of waiting for the Base training, we got to do it on Air Arabia A320s & in Sharjah & accordingly becoming MPLers & ready for the line training

---------------------------------------------------

So, guys, I & the rest of my Batch-mates, were always positive about it, yes we had some/a lots of issues about AAA (AAG), but we still believed in doing it & our reservoir of Hope & love to flying was always filled to the Max (with our money at risk), especially that it wasn't only AAG's Fault ALONE, let's now discuss it from the Advantages/Disadvantages side:

Disadvantages:
1. Delays were approx. 16 months to some of us & 20 months for others
2. MPL is Risky
3. AAG at some point didn't handle it professionally
4. The delays increased the living costs on us (pay rent more than the necessary period)
5. Contract was foggy.

Advantages:
1. Got a high quality training (All stages...no doubt)
2. Enjoyed the training, around the globe & especially with the Great instructors.
3. Got the Line Training with Air Arabia
4. We had direct contact with the Management (I guess it is what everybody should do...make the management aware that you are there).
5. Most importantly, the training had the focus of GCAA & Air Arabia (to whom I'm really Thankful)

Here, I have a question to ask & I asked myself...Would I have had the Same Chances/Opportunities (In the UAE or GCC or even the Middle East) to get a Job on an A320 in the same time frame with a CPL/IR?

My Answer is NO

-----------------------------------------------------------
This is my Story in a Very Very Very Simplified Manner...I have tried my best to keep it interesting for you to keep reading...ofcourse I have more to say, to the advantage of & against MPL & AAG, but these are the MAIN parts that I & I say again "I" have experienced...

Now, I can happily say, I am now a First Officer in Air Arabia & I'm Done with my Line training...I am a bit more free to keep reading & replying to you guys...

I am ready now, more than ever before to share my expereinces with Alpha & MPL, since I have gone through the whole process & I am in touch with the people Under process

Please guys, I am not trying to encourage you to get into MPL or avoid going for it...although a lots of you think that I am a Supporter to AAG or Air Arabia...the thing is simply... I DON'T SPIT IN THE PLATE THAT I EAT/ATE FROM...

I'm off to check my Full PM inbox

Last edited by malirm; 9th May 2012 at 10:03.