PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN helicopters vs Saddam's Navy
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 05:55
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evalu8ter
Hmm, 250 Royals in 5 CH47s v 8x SK4 carrying 6 each for around 50?...

Shome mishtake, shurely? This is only a Wiki entry but I have more authoritative sources showing the same data:

Quote:
Sea King HC.4 / Westland Commando
...Capable of transporting 28 fully equipped troops...
P.S. I was embarked in GLO where I watched footage taken by Mike Nicholson's cameraman when her Lynx took out some of the Iraqi TNC-45s.
Evaluator is much nearer the mark!

The primary role of the Mk4 fleet was always to "effect a simultaneous two Company lift of Royal Marines". (It didn't actually say for what distance, but was later clarified as a xx hour insertion flight).

In the early 80s, just as they were being delivered (!) it was known this could not be met, not least because the addition of very heavy EW kit had to be offset by either a reduction in fuel or troops. Westland used to have a presentation which included the option of enough fuel to take off (then quickly land) but you weren't allowed a pilot. Tongue in cheek, it always got a laugh, but it got the point across.

So, the Merlin buy was to be 108, with ASW as primary role, Commando secondary. This number was current from 1983 to about 1989 (the notional ISD of Merlin, which wasn't met). There was a modification developed to swap roles (remove sonics, insert seats). Under one design option, the radar was to be retained and the Mk4s retro-fitted with the old Mk2 radar (a scheme only abandoned in about 1995).

However, in practice, the RN didn't need 108 Merlin ASWs, so everyone knew there would be about 40+ permanently in Commando role; to supplement, not replace, Mk4. This fact is what gives lie to historical MoD and Government claims that support helicopter numbers are sufficient, and have always been so. Numerically, the FAA have been around 40 short for 30+ years (against the stated requirement, which has fallen by the wayside and quietly forgotten as it is impossible to meet).

I always wondered why the brass didn't throw this fact back at the Government over the last decade when lack of SH was uppermost in the public's mind and getting lots of press. It was an ideal opportunity. Shame on the staffs who wrote the briefs for Ministers.

The above is open source, as it was cleared by MoD PR when Ferranti asked if they could publicise the forthcoming contract to supply Blue Kestrel radars for 108 Merlins.