PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat: What's the deal?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 01:57
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, the important part is “separating the wheat from the chaff” The good thing is once you get several knowledgeable view points and actually apply them while flying it makes for a more enjoyable, confident and safe flight experience. Even on things that may appear to be elementary or minor to the more experienced pilots on this site such as the carb heat, can, when not fully understood (as was the case with me even with 450 VFR hours) make what should be a routine and enjoyable flight a slightly stressful experience due to the nagging feeling that you may not be doing things correctly, not to mention tying up time worrying about it when something else that could seriously interfere with safe operation is going unnoticed. I firmly believe that marrying the “official resources” of the AFM with past/current instruction and gathering opinions on here help me to zero in on best practices that suit my specific flying profile and mission. I can assure you that the initial CFI for my PPL on the long tar runways of sunny Southern California did not spent much time gearing my training to flying a tail dragger out of a wet and windy dirt strip in Scotland, not that that was his job, but as your flying horizons open your need for drawing on other pilots experiences and opinions make a difference. That’s why I am on this forum