PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Provost
Thread: Jet Provost
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 22:24
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to further confirm NoD's comments I dug out my old Aircrew manual for the JP3, I'll give you the stated fuel cons figs:-

Firstly, conversions I've used (I know its a bit backward but I'm trying to keep it simple for working out costs!)

1 litre Jet A1 = 0.81kg (I know it changes with SG but I've taken an avg fig)
1 litre Jet A1 = 1.78574lbs

So, at Max Intermediate power (not full chat)

Sea Level = TAS 259kts (IAS 256kts) 30.8 lbs/min or 1035 litres per hr
10,000' = TAS 267kts (IAS 228kts) 23.6 lbs/min or 793 litres per hr

Using Max Cont power

Sea Level = TAS 244kts (IAS 241kts) 27.4 lbs/min or 921 litres per hr
10,000' = TAS 251kts (IAS 214kts) 20.6 lbs/min or 692 litres per hr

As you can see, she's no stranger to a fuel bowser if your nipping on.

Using Econ cruise figs you get the following:-

Sea level IAS 177kts 17.7lbs/min or 595 litres per hr
10,000' = IAS 159kts 13.8 lbs/min or 464 litres per hr

Also you'd want to add 60lbs for start, taxi & takeoff so thats another 34litres.

I really cant be assed using the climb / descent tables to work it out fully but a climb to 10k with full tips at 165kts IAS reducing by 5kts per 5000' gives a time to climb ot 8.6mins and a fuel burn for the climb of 260lbs, you can work the rest out yourself....

I've not included figs above 10,000' as XM479 has the Oxy system de-activated and is placarded as below 10k only.

So I'll leave it to you to figure out how realistic £400 per hr is unless you want to sit at 10,000' doing 159kts IAS, thats also excluding the £42 landing fee of course. I'm assuming your taking fuel from Newcastle at 90p per litre or whatever it is as thats where the aircraft is based and most of the training will be done from.

Now also bear in mind that when your doing your Turbojet Exemption you will be paying THE FULL COST of the trip and in my case also £100 per day for the chap to sit next to me though thats probably no longer the case. I got through mine in absolute minimum time but I was a fresh faced CPL with about 350hrs and had totally studied all the systems, checks and drills (I was no stranger to a CFS check ride! )
Even so I seem to remember I wasnt allowed to solo until 5hrs on type (6 or 7 trips in total)
As I said before, you will easily be racking up trips at circa £700+ per time in the circuit as your low level with lots of drag.
As Nigel also states you can cost share with other group members but only one of you can log the time so thats no use to get the 20hrs needed to carry pax.

I'd therefore expect that to get to the point of carrying passengers to share your costs your probably looking at a minimum of £15k with landing fees and monthlies etc. Of course if you can take advantage of the free airshow trips and get to log the time then that will save you something and also uplifting cheaper fuel from MOD airfields would help assuming they are happy to let you in without charging a crazy landing fee!

As NoD says its good to try while you get the chance but you really do need to be aware of the costs, and thats without having to put your hand in your pocket for any unforseen Tech issues. I seem to remember during my time a new set of tyres as a cash call, an LP fuel pump problem which kept occuring and that pesky U/C retraction issue which casued me to be chased down the runway by half the airport fire crew (i think they were bored!)....still, better stuck down than up!