PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dead Mans Curve (again..)
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2002, 19:39
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HV curve is a very interesting and little understood piece of work. One of the interesting things about it is that it is done at maximum weight and probably 7,000' DA. Having validated it when I worked at Transport Canada, I can say that it is pretty good for the conditions tested, but not much else.
Takeoff profiles have to be developed to stay clear of the HV curve - and that is one of the things that goes into the published takeoff distance in the FM.
The HV curve in the area below the 'knee' is done at takeoff power, but no pilot intervention time.
But is it valid for landing? Probably not. Low power setting, in descent already, whole bunch of other variables. Shouldn't have to stay clear of the HV profile on landing - I don't think the certification methods require the FM charts to be developed for that - that alone should tell you something.
Also shows one of the benefits of the FAA method of doing things - the industry gets to respond to all proposed changes in the rules and the FAA has to listen.