PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN helicopters vs Saddam's Navy
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 22:09
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
I have tried to find a copy of an article written by LT Burton T Palmer, USN, officer in charge on the USS Paul F Foster (DD-964) whose helicopters worked with the RN Lynx in some of the targeting and destruction of the Iraqi naval vessels in 1991. (Burt is a good egg). I had hoped to add it to this thread, but for the life of me I can't find it on the net.

It seems that his article, (possibly in US Naval Institute Proceedings some years ago) did not make it into the digital age.

About all I found was passing mention of this operation tied to one of his junior officers -- Dave Manero.

Of course, I found this in the Congressional record, courtesy of Trent Lott, US Senator, which made me laugh. It's in the second paragraph of the nice things said about Dave "Tony" Manero below.

If I can ever find a link to Burt's original article, I'll offer it up.

Congressional Record, Volume 148 Issue 126 (Tuesday, October 1, 2002)

From what I recall of Burt's article, and some discussions with him years ago, over beers, the APS-124 radar on the Seahawk, and SH-60B's its relatively long legs, allowed the Seahawk to act as "mini E-2" to help the Lynx, who had to re-arm and refuel I seem to recall, get back into the target area with Sea Skua. Memory does not serve well, however.

At that time, USN helicopters didnt' carry Air to ground weapons, but could carry torpedoes. Good thing the Lynx were about!

That has changed, as the Penguin mod and Hellfire mod have since been fitted.