PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 21:39
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
If I may revisit a tidbit about AoA from Retired F4

I donīt see the problem there, the information was present in the AF447 aircraft (Stall warning, FDR traces....), it was not displayed
AoA is information related to airflow over your flying surfaces, more or less a snapshot of "How is my aircraft (wing) flying?"

There is a bit of pilot scriptural canon, oft cited on these pages and in particular in the first two or three threads on AF 447, called Fly the Wing. Your AoA can tell you how your wing is doing, flying wise.

The A330 already detects and uses AoA information ... at least the robot does.

Why it is not considered by designers, airline companies, and others to be useful to the pilots remains a matter of design attitude, and conceptual attitude.

Choosing not to make that info available for the pilot's display looks to me like an attitude problem. (And again, I appreciate that the real estate in "display area" is precious, and is (allegedly) allocated with great care, particular in modern design processes. )

So who needs an AoA gage? What you don't know won't hurt you, eh?
Sorry, I disagree, with data point AF 447 a supporting tidbit.

Would a discreet AoA display have made the pilots aware, as they were flopping about, that they were in stall, a fact that seems to have escaped their notice?

Maybe, maybe not. Given my previous remarks on scan breakdown, there is ample argument against.