PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 17:50
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And here we have the crux of this discussion - not aimed at you personally thing just a convenient quote. That technique may have worked for you so far, but as a way to fly an ILS point & power works better across the board. Using power to control pitch attitude is fundamentally incorrect, since pitch attitude can only be controlled (as opposed to affected) by elevator. Imagine flying the approach in something with rather less pitch & power couple than you're used to, or on an excitingly unstable day - point & power would require far less work & be more accurate.
I'll bring that up at the club, I'm sure you are probably right. Thing is I can't remember now what technique I was taught!! I just kind of fly down the glideslope and it all comes together. Not a very technical description I know but I don't have degrees in Complicated Things.

Edit: But having just thought about it, aren't I doing the same thing the other way around? Instead of point and power I'm doing power and point. I think.