Old 8th May 2012, 16:57
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
"Are you pulling up?"
"Yes. Shouldn't I be?"
"No - we're approaching stall - I have control."
"You have control."
The fact itself that such exchange becomes necessary highlights how information is suppressed by the Airbus sidestick concept.

RF4, I do salute your patience. Your explanations are clear.
I find amusing how DW, who sat down twice in a A320 simulator (but I don’t know about the experience of OC ?) is teaching you what flying is and more specifically instruments flying :
Even if you've got a yoke in front of you, unless you're in a life-and-death situation (which this wasn't at that point), you should take it gently, follow through and verbally confirm what you're feeling before you try to take over. I've never heard of a successful recovery requiring handing over of control where one pilot simply grabbed the controls from the other.
BTW Dozy, it is taking place everyday in the world, and not only in flying school. You don’t hear about it everytime it is successful.

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
The Airbus Service Bulletin was binding in terms of the work being *required*, not recommended - and the work having to be done by a given date. An Airworthiness Directive is the next level up where the type is effectively grounded until the work is done, and that wasn't really necessary in this case. ADs are only used when a fault is so severe that it is likely to result in the loss of the aircraft every time it occurs.
You have been answered on this point already, so would you stop making the same erroneous comment.

My personal view on the AoA gauge on an airliner is that it has to be very simple and the training must suggest that anything approaching 5 degrees in cruise, or 15 deg at low level is inapropriate.