PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 16:40
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
DW

Retired F4
But he didn´t get the clue, otherwise he would have asked or even he would have taken over the aircraft like you mentioned, correct?
He did try to correct the PF verbally, so it's reasonable to assume he realised, or at least felt that something was wrong. I'm not an expert, but his speech pattern seems to indicate indecision. The captain has put the PF in charge - if the PNF takes over before the captain arrives, will it reflect badly on him if it turns out to be unnecessary? Perhaps he felt that correcting the PF verbally until the captain arrived would be the safest path to take
I made my point clear in this post, bur let us look further into this matter:

2 h 10 min 11 What is that?
2 h 10 min 17 We’ve lost the the the speeds so… engine thrust ATHR engine lever thrust
2 h 10 min 22 Alternate law protections (law/low/lo)
2 h 10 min 24 Wait we’re losing…
2 h 10 min 25 Wing anti-ice
2 h 10 min 27 Watch your speed Watch your speed
2 h 10 min 31 Stabilise Go back down
2 h 10 min 33 You’re at Go back down
2 h 10 min 39 I’ll put you in in ATT (*)…
2 h 10 min 49 (…) where is he er?
2 h 11 min 00 Above all try to touch the lateral controls as little as possible eh
2 h 11 min 06 (…) is he coming or not?
2 h 11 min 21 But we’ve got the engines what’s happening (…)?
2 h 11 min 38 Controls to the left (and puts the SS to the full left stop)
(2 h 11 min 43 Captain on the deck: Er what are you doing?)
2 h 11 min 43 What’s happening? I don’t know I don’t know what’s happening
2 h 12 min 07 No above all don’t extend (the)
2 h 12 min 13 What do you think about it what do you think what do we need to do?
I stop there, because it gets worse later on.

Is that really a pilot monitoring in the loop?

2 h 10 min 11 What is that?
Probably the stall warning? Did he even recognize it as stall warning?

2 h 10 min 27 Watch your speed Watch your speed
He describes the symptoms not the cause. The cause was the pitchup, therefore the speed decrease, but he didn´t get it.

2 h 10 min 31 Stabilise Go back down
2 h 10 min 33 You’re at Go back down
Now 4 seconds later, he grasps that the altitude is off, that they are no longer in the assigned FL, no connection to the imminent stall if they continue like before....

2 h 11 min 00 Above all try to touch the lateral controls as little as possible eh
Now he starts to worry about the roll control, again no connection to the overall picture, an aircraft that is still gaining height, still losing speed, and is now doing some rolling oscilations due to impending loss of control

2 h 11 min 21 But we’ve got the engines what’s happening (…)?
another point that he has no clue. With engines working everything should be ok, but it isn´t...

2 h 11 min 38 Controls to the left (and puts the SS to the full left stop)
Now he is acting on his perception and guessing pattern not on knowledge, therefore he doesn´t mind the pitch, but he tries to stop the roll with full left SS

2 h 11 min 43 What’s happening? I don’t know I don’t know what’s happening
Now comes the relevation, when captain comes to the deck and asks "Er what are you(doing)?" he admits what we all know but are reluctant to accept, that he had no idea what was happening. He admits it himself.

2 h 12 min 07 No above all don’t extend (the)
At least he recognized what shouldn´t be done...

2 h 12 min 13 What do you think about it what do you think what do we need to do?
He was not able to give any information (despite a useful one) to the captain, but asks him what to do.

Tell me again, he had any plan on what was happening, why it was happening, and what could have been done about it. He was pilot monitoring, he could have used his whole concentration into that matter, but he didn´t get the picture.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 8th May 2012 at 17:16.