PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 diverted to CWL
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2002, 18:07
Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might, repeat might just about have an arguable point if the incident had taken place after the aircraft had landed at Glasgow, and if the passengers had been detained. But it didn't.

First thank you for replying. I appreciate your view.

The point though is when the detention begins. Your argument seems to assume to that it begins once the plane lands on the ground. My argument is that the detention begins once the person realises that they are under constraint. In this instance that begins at the moment the pilot made his announcement (if I stress and I must stress, if, the passenger account is correct).

What can a defendant say if he used threats or force?
There are no excuses for threats or force. Again the accounts from the passengers and airline seem to vary wildly.

Though in case this causes any debate let me stress that the Captain had no alternative but to divert.

I only used reasonable force to try to escape so that I wouldn't be unlawfully detained at Glasgow? At 35,000'? Be sensible. If anyone felt aggrieved, the proper course was take it up with the airline later, not take it out on the Cabin Crew during the flight.

No, but it would be entirely proper to point out the inappropriate nature of the captain's announcement (if as I stress yet again again the passenger account is correct).

We seem to agree on this much though - that nothing will be of much use to any passenger who issues threats to or inflicts violence on cabin crew though as I said earlier the airline and passenger accounts are at odds with each other.