PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 15:54
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm reminded of an accident I was involved in investigating a few years ago. Type was a Rans S6: smaller and lighter but basically the same shape and performance as a C150, pilot was a low hour PPL, maybe 100 hours. He got too slow on approach, and also somebody taxied onto the runway in front of him.

So he put on full power to go around. The aeroplane pitched up (due to pitch change from power) through the critical angle of attack, stalled and yawed, and hit the ground just to one side of the runway in what was probably an incipient spin. Fortunately he, his passenger, and the bystander he hit all lived - although the CAA sponsored prosecution for reckless endangerment was unpleasant.

I've landed myself 4 times successfuly, I know about flaring, maintaining speeds. This isn't about flying ability. All of this has stemmed from the fact I don't agree with a specific technique for ME.
Gosh! 4!

Look around PPrune and you'll find threads where people with several thousand landings each are arguing with each other about the best way to do it. And taking useful things from the discussion.

G