PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 15:36
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
AOA

Well, would be too easy to just switch gauges from an fighter into an Airliner, didnt believe either that it would be possible.

PJ2
Here is the ECAM logic which triggers the stall warning from AoA in Alternate Law - this was posted earlier, (can't recall who to credit), but it may illustrate what is meant by the question:
So the AOA signal from the vane is available, the logic is there as well, itīs the engineers task to create a gadget which gives the necessary information for the required task. Use units or degrees, digits or a round gauge. the point i tried to make, its easy to use and doesnīt need sophisticated training.

@ Owain Glyndwr
The rhinos had different wings, stabilizers, Leading edge flaps, slats, BLC or no BLC, and therefore different onspeed values, different stall speeds and different wing rock behaviour. Therefore the numbers are only valid for one specific type, i estimate itīs the F4B. But that is no important point, as you tried to show how simple the system was built and that the indications lacked the accuracy necessary for air transport flying. I didnīt expect anything else and as mentioned before, i didnīt care. Despite that inaccuracy the phantom and other second generation fighters flew worldwide some millions flight hours with such a system and it kept thousands of pilots out of trouble.

Therefore the system might be inaccurate in todays standards, but it did its job well and never ever did i hear of an accident being caused by the inaccuracy of the AOA gauge.

Modern fighters still retain the indication of AOA in a modernized version, and those systems should somehow work in a air transport aircraft as well.

Itīs not a question of technical feasability or of the necessary understanding and training, itīs a question of money and will.

@ PJ2 saw your post after i finished mine.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 8th May 2012 at 15:54.