PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority is it time to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 15:02
6chimes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SJB

You mention CRM being affected by team work and morale. If there are crew who believe their own skills within CRM could be affected they should immediately leave. CRM is a skill some have in abundance and it comes naturally for them. For others it needs to be worked on. CRM is not about a group hug, empathizing or everyone getting their own way. It is simply a core subject aimed at highlighting how, when problems arise a joint effort will achieve a better outcome. CRM being practiced throughout routine operations only serves to promote the skill when you need it most.

Constantly being used as 'safety issue' for crew who feel their CRM skills are second to none when they're not getting their own way is as bad as not having it at all.

Any safety critical environment must have a chain of command. Why would the military hang on to it for hundreds of years if it didn't work.

Whilst I can't comment on every airline and how seniority works for them, I do think that the tail should not be allowed to wag the dog.