PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dropped a clanger (Literally)
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 14:54
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I have done this three times: (not trying to brag, just empathize!)

First time in a Cessna Cardinal RG. The cap was just not seated properly (and are hard to preflight) The fuel streamed out so fast that I literally emptied a full tank in less than 15 minutes! I saw the vapour trail 10 miles away from the airport, changed tanks, went right back, and landed with one empty tank.

Second time same poorly fit cap on a Cessna 206. Symptoms less apparent (as I suppose the cap was closer to fitting correctly). Emptied a tank in about an hour. Once I noticed the problem, I selected that tank, to use what I could, before it was gone anyway. That probably made the difference in me getting where I was going, as it was a long night cross country in Northern Ontario, and the departure airport weather closed in behind me, so forward was the only way to go - with few airports in between.

The third time was my C 150. I found the cap on my runway, on the turn around end I had not been to since that morning. I had flown several short flights in the mean time, and there was no evidence of loss of fuel.

It just depends upon the type of airfoil I suppose....