PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Provost
Thread: Jet Provost
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 14:45
emmccan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

As the Chief Pilot of the Newcastle Jet Provost Group & with the highest PPL hours on type in the UK and also a qualified Hawker Hunter pilot i shall answer your questions the best i can.
The costs as per our website are pretty much bang on, working out the cost of fuel at Newcastle today it works out at £166 (the website quotes £150)
Of course we now have access to the MOD rate of fuel which is 35p per litre cheaper then most civil airports, but like any aircraft and even more so in a Jet it all depends on what height you fly at and where you put the throttle - You only pay for the fuel YOU use on a flight.

It should also be noted that there are no expected "cash calls" etc at any point in the near future, last year we got the aircraft completely repainted and we also replaced the Roll Royce Viper engine with a "0" time one.

We had a 1 hour sortie last weekend around the lake district (low level 250 knots, aeros etc...) cost was £200, Landing fees at Newcastle are currently £42. (you have full fire cover, ATC, Rader etc..)

It should also be noted the group rules are all there in black and white before anyone joins the group & it makes it quite clear how to join and how to leave.

I welcome anyone who may be interested in flying a Jet to come along and have a test flight a "try before you buy" which we have full CAA approval for, we also work with the Hunter Flight Academy and any group member now gets the chance to fly in the Hunter should they wish to.

As for Hunter costs these days work on £3500 for a trip, however the costs in the JP and Hunter are much reduced for group members by taking the aircraft to and from events in the UK most of which offer free fuel to attend, all group members get the chance to attend and take advantage of the "free fuel"

To recap

To join the Newcastle Jet Provost Group, you should have 100 hours SEP time. (less maybe acceptable - this is down to the insurance company)
Buy a £1 share in the group.
Pay a £999 non refundable joining fee.
Pay £130 per month to cover all the fixed costs of operating the aircraft

All you pay for on a flight is the fuel YOU use and any landing fee's and that's it no hidden extras.

For further information please contact me below.

Regards

Neil McCarthy