PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Amiri Flight Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 12:50
Amiri01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF

You've hit the nail on the head with two very important issues with the Amiri job, that is the lack of a "planning lifestyle" due to the 24/7 standby and the "understanding wives" issue and these issues need to be considered closely for those considering the move.

Those that prefer to know that they can plan a dinner party (insert any commitment here) next Friday night without being called out could struggle a little with the uncertainty. Typically, for those of us here, we plan for the dinner party next Friday night, but even with non-aviation friends, there is always the proviso that the dinner party may have to be cancelled at the last minute, or the host may not be present... Everyone understands the situation so if you need to cancel, it's not a reflection on you personally.

There are difficulties when planning things such as medical appointments or birthday parties for the kids etc, because Dad may not be available on the day to take the kid to the doctor or supervise the party, leaving Mum to shoulder the burden. Mums need to be tolerant in this respect. It is the day to day family routines that get a bit mucked up with the uncertainty of Dad's work.

Doha can be a shock to the system for the family, as well as how the "system" is here in Qatar. Again, a wife who can get through the settling in pains is a must. If the wife isn't happy (and we get the occasional one that finds the transition too difficult but that is probably more Doha related than Amiri related), then that will create problems.

I think our wives are actually shocked that we get so much time at home! That said, I'm sure all wives have the occasional dummy spit when we get called out to fly and can't make it to juniors 3rd birthday party...

I am generally able to honour most commitments but certainly by no means all of them.

Everyone needs to be aware that in Amiri, there is definitely no scope for commuting, which is possible with EK for example. With Amiri, you either have your family in Doha with you, or see them rarely (during your 6 weeks leave or when they get a vacation in Doha to visit you).

For those in EK who might be considering a change, the EK provident fund is certainly a better system than our end of service benefit which is negligible in comparison.

I personally think it's a great life, but an understanding wife helps!

I hope this extra feedback helps those considering.

Cheers,

Amiri01