PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 08:53
Toxic Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEN Experience

I recently travelled on on of the easyjet mid afternoon departures from the new terminal

On the whole I found a lot of positives. Check in was efficient, security were polite and thorough, all terminal concessions seem reasonably priced and friendly. I haven't seen as much brand new GSE in one place in years. New steps, Charlatte baggage tugs, Schopf F110 tugs, tow bars, bog carts, ambulifts, airport ops vehicles.

The issue of terminal size did strike me but purely from a persepctive of the depth of the building as 8 desks is sufficient for current volumes. We were on a mid afternoon departure and check in was no problem with 70 pax but at peak times it would be different. Similarly when they called our flight in departures and everone stood up we were qued back to WH Smiths. They then loaded us into the covered walkway outside to wait in there. I couldn't help feeling that there should be more depth to the terminal and the whole holding walkway effort should be inside.

I think the extensions in progress will give a roomier feel, although terminal depth will eventually need to be addressed sooner or later

On our return we really could have flown through the terminal and onto the London bound platform if that had been our method of travel The walk from stand 5 to the station is probably the quickest I have come accross and even closer than Southamptons platform. Having two handlers load onto the belt instead of one poor soul on his own would have made things just a little speedier. Only one arrival going on at that time so they need to throw in adequate staff resource at off peak as well as peak times

So for me a good experience.

TT